.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Monday, February 26, 2007

Factoid That Might Only Interest Me: NFL Combine Edition

So I have been reading this week how Calvin Johnson has been tearing up the scouting combine. Awesome, good for him. I am not however, a full believer in the religion of combine workouts. Johnson's stats have indeed been eyepopping:

6-5
239 lbs
4.35 40 time
45 inch vert

After looking at these stats for a moment something started to stir in the back of my mind. Something familiar...and then I realized that I had seen these numbers before. Something to the tune of:

6-6
242 lbs
4.37 40 time
40 inch vert

So who had those numbers? Well, since you asked so nicely, I'll tell you. Those numbers belong to none other than Matt Jones, Arkansas QB turned Jaguars WR. I guess it just goes to show that combine numbers don't always translate into on the field success. Just ask the Texans, as their workout monster Mario Williams was outperformed in his rookie season by other rookie defensive ends that were either too short (Elvis Dumervil) or too light (Mark Anderson).