.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Heat-Bulls Preview

If you were to rank the NBA Playoffs right now from the best teams to the worst remaining, BCS style, would the Chicago Bulls and Miami Heat get the top spots?  I mean it might be crazy to think but if a team like Memphis or Oklahoma City gets into the NBA Finals, I will believe whoever loses this series got robbed at an opportunity to play for the Larry O'Brien Trophy.  People have jumped back on the 'Heat are unstoppable bandwagon,' and some are even calling for a quick series. I don't see that, and nor do I think the Heat are winning this series as I am taking the Chicago Bulls in seven games.

The first reason is obvious, Derrick Rose. The Heat has no point guard that can keep up with D-Rose in an enduring playoff series such as this one. Dywane Wade will do his best, but I do think a la Paul Pierce, his offensive numbers will fall off by exerting so much on the defense. Even though Wade is a top notch defender, Rose is so much quicker than anyone else on the court and find his way to the basket efficiently.  I think he learned a lot after losing game four by shooting over 30 times that he needs to do his best to get everyone involved in the offense.

While I was wavering on who to pick for this expected great series, Michael Wilbon of ESPN and noted Chicago fan made a great point about Luol Deng and Keith Bogans.  He said 'They are defensive-minded guys first, Deng and Bogans would rather being doing that then scoring on offense.'  That earned a complete co-sign from me and think Chicago's man to man defense is going to cause the role players of the Heat to step up in ways we haven't seen all year.  If the Heat's much criticized bench lives up to this challenge, they deserve to win because as I have said before, I will doubt something until you make me a believer.

The point about Deng and Bogans also means Chris Bosh needs to play at another level in this series for the Heat to win. We haven't seen it out of Bosh all playoffs, but with the Bulls' only defensive liability in Carlos Boozer, Bosh might get his opportunity to put his stamp on this team. Also trust that the Bulls will give him his shots, just like no one forgets the kid who peed his pants in the 6th grade, no one forgets Bosh's woeful 1 for 18 performance against the Bulls earlier this season. I assume the Bulls attempt to shut down LeBron and DWade, and make the other players beat them. Call it the Anti-Dwight Howard if you will. 

The Heat are playing at the highest level, so are the Bulls, this usually equates to a great series. I think you are going to see LeBron get his chance to close out a pivotal game (Game 5 did speak volumes to me personally).  You also will see a bunch of great defense, and I will be shocked if either team gets over 100 points in regulation. There is a lot of things to like in this series and I for one cannot wait for tip off in the Windy City tonight.

-Charlie.