.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Figuring Out The Top 25 (1-13)

Here is the upper half of the Top 25. Like I said in the previous post, I had most this done before the games started today but I had a night class to go to. Sorry about that, I made sure my opinion didn't change due to tonight's game.  



1.) Ohio State- The Buckeyes have the most talent in college basketball this season. I like the Buckeyes because they have three great senior leaders in Dallas Lauderdale, David Lighty, and Jon Diebler. Not to mention, they have the nation's best freshman in Jared Sullinger who is a tank in the post. This will be a tough out in March.

2.) Kansas- If you are curious I am still upset I didn't include Brady Morningstar on the Van Wilder team  but anyways, Rock Hawk Jayhawk is still playing at a high level per usual. I love watching the Morris twins, both will be pretty solid in the NBA.  If Josh Selby comes on strong in the coming months, the Jayhawks will be a real threat to make it to the Final Four.

3.) Texas- The Longhorns destroyed Texas A&M on the road last night. Rick Barnes always puts together talented teams, but they never get it done in March. I bought into this team after watching them come back from an 11 point deficit at Kansas, which is one of the tougher environments to win a game.  But my biggest worry for them is Jordan Hamilton's violate personality. He is much better than last season, but I could see him doing something stupid to cost UT a chance at a National Championship.

4.) Pittsburgh- I watched the Panthers tear up my Marquette Warriors with three-point shooting and playing tough inside. Pitt has guys who can rain from the outside like Ashton Gibbs, Brad Wanamaker, and Gilbert Brown. That trio hits over 40 percent behind the line plus they have a monster inside with Gary McGhee to clean up their misses. Jamie Dixon is always good for a Sweet 16 run, the question is will he finally make it all the way to the Final Four?

5.) Duke- Tomorrow's game against Maryland will be on my radar because I want to see how the Blue Devils handle a tough road enviornment for back-to-back games. If they get Kyrie Ivring back, they will become a problem in March, but if not, I don't see it. They live and die by the three point shot, and it's very rare that those teams make deep runs in the tournament. Not to mention, they really don't have an inside force to put back their misses either.

6.) San Diego State- I don't know what to think about the Aztecs. I watched them once against BYU, and they looked very timid during the second half.  One thing that will plague the Aztecs is their woeful free throw shooting, which comes in at 66 percent, woof. It will bite them in the ass sometime in the next couple of months.

7.) Connecticut- Kemba Walker is a straight up baller. I watched Walker the last two years and he was an obsessive ball hog. I hated his game. I am very impressed with how Walker reinvented himself and his ability to make the big shots. Whenever a team has a guy like Walker, they are dangerous. Also if Jeremy Lamb plays like he did against Marquette, they will be handful in March.

8.) Notre Dame- Unbelievable the Golden Domers are this high, Marquette should have swept them but I digress. The Fightin' Irish are their typical self with a bunch of dopey white guys who can drill threes. It does make me smile they are doing better without Luke Harangody though. Also the Big East schedule for the Irish isn't that hard for the final home stretch

9.) Brigham Young- I talked about how I believe with a talented guy like Jimmer Fredette, they could get to the Elite Eight, but the New Mexico game did raise some eyebrows from me.  The thing that should scare BYU is if they run into a team like Kentucky, North Carolina, or anyone with a good amount of athleticism, they might get run out of the gym.

10.) Purdue- I find it amazing they are still in the Top 10 without Robbie Hummel and if it weren't for Sullinger, we would be talking a lot about JaJuan Johnson as the best Big Ten post player. The Boilermakers have a case of the road woes, and they head out on the road for 5 games. Not to mention, host Wisconsin, Ohio State, and Illinois, brutal. I could see the Boilermakers fading off in the coming months.  

11.) Kentucky- As always, John Calipari has a problem with youth. He has two great players in Terrence Jones and Brandon Knight, but both are only freshman. I bet he is praying for a lockout so these kids come back to school for another year. It will be interesting to see how they handle College Gameday atmosphere in Gainesville.

12.) Villanova- Before looking at the statistics, I thought Villanova was pretty good at shooting the three because that is what the Cats do. Nope, one of the Two Coreys is raining over 40 percent and the Wildcats are only shooting 35 percent. Nova has lost the last three out of four, and still have two games left with Pittsburgh. Nova rarely loses leads with shooting a pristine 77 percent from the free throw line.

13.) Louisville- I don't know what to think about the Cardinals this season. They have been the comeback kids of the Big East so far this season and notched an impressive road win against UConn.  Peyton Siva is coming on strong for them in the past couple of games. He had a ton of hype last season, and living up to it this season.  It will be interesting to see how they develop next month.

-Charlie.