.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

5 Things Missed if (When) The Lockout Happens

While you are reading this I want you to have Welcome Back-Mase played in the background. Why? Because I haven't wrote anything since the end of the NFL regular season. So I decided to put down my notes about carboxylic acids and their derivatives to talk about something that irked me. I was watching ESPN and they were doing Top 5 things missed if there is a lockout. Marcellus Wiley's list really got me going. I don't remember them all but two that stick out in my head are him missing Drew Brees pumping up the Saints before the game, and watching Michael Vick throw the deep ball. Really? That's what you are going to miss the most, I pray that I heard him wrong but I don't think I did. That's just plain dumb, really dumb. This lead me to think of my own "Top 5" and also I felt obliged to blog so if this thing goes huge I'll get 10% or something.


5. Talk and build up to the regular season
-Seeing how teams come out of training camp and all the hoopla that goes along with that is an exciting time, at least in my opinion. Let's be honest, so much happens before the season even starts, contract negotiations, trades, injuries, fights, players bitching about who knows what and seeing what the rookies can do. Not to mention fantasy football drafts which is part of another further down the list.

4. Wearing my team's gear with relevance
-People will tell you I wear Packer gear like I'm on the IR chillin' on the sideline. With no games going on it won't mean as much repping my team and wearing it proudly. Yes I'll still wear Packer clothes because I'm a big fan but it won't feel the same on Monday after a big W. And wearing the gear will just remind me of nothing to look forward to on Sunday, bummer.

3. Electric Plays
-Lets get real, every year there are plays that just plain "wow" everyone and will never be forgotten. Particular ones that stick out in my head are Donald Driver's catch and run against the 49ers, showing that he's got some gas left in the tank. The other one being Desean Jackson's punt return to end the Giants season.

2. Players coming out of no where
- I love watching football and having some no name or lowly expected player come out and make a huge difference. Seems like every year there are a handful of players who have had mediocre careers or you've never heard of and just take off to have a great year. I think the whole Kansas City Chiefs team can qualify under this one, especially Matt Cassel. Peyton Hillis comes to mind, Desmond Bishop, Caleb Hanie (hehe) and Jacob Tamme. Witnessing new athletes emerge to me is exciting and makes watching the game more fun.

1. Camaraderie amongst peers and fans
-Easily number 1. Nothing is better then everyone coming together on a Sunday afternoon, putting off school or other obligations to watch football. It has definitely become part of our culture when Sunday's in the fall are considered the best days, even if the worst day, Monday, follows. Along with this is the immaculate Fantasy Football leagues and draft like I stated earlier. Since we are all bums now, my friends and I only have this serving a remedy to keep our competitor juices flowing. Digging deeper into this camaraderie, I can think of Water Street as the Packers won the Super Bowl. The bars were absolutely packed and every 10 minutes a Go Pack Go chant would start. Everyone that night were best friends and times like those will be the ones I will miss if (when) a lockout happens.

I'm not a Pulitzer Writer but hopefully you all somewhat enjoyed. If not, your fault for continuing to read.

That is all for now. See you again in 2 months.

Big cat