.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Monday, March 7, 2011

Championship Week Predictions

This might sound weird, but I love Championship Week just as much as the first four days of the NCAA Tournament. They always tend to give us great games, and someone always makes a crazy run. I also love the fact there is nonstop college basketball on television. I am here to give you who should win their tournament, who might win it, who is a darkhorse team, and a winner.



ACC:
Should Win: North Carolina- I talked about them an great length yesterday, but I do think the Heels are playing this best basketball in the ACC right now and do not be surprised if this team is a 2 seed when it all said and done.

Might Win: Duke- The Blue Devils always play well in the tournament, and I would love to see another Duke-Carolina matchup again. The ACC has been funny though, and usually doesn't deliver that for us.

Sleeper: Virginia Tech- The Hokies have become America's bubble team as this is their 12th straight year on the bubble. Okay, I am exaggerating but we always seem to be talking about them. I like Malcolm Delany, and think he can push his team into the Big Dance.

Winner: North Carolina- beats Virginia, Boston College, and Duke.

Big East:
Should Win It: Notre Dame- In the best conference in college basketball, no team has played better than the Irish in the last month. Even though they are Marquette's biggest rivals in the Big East, I am willing to admit when I see good basketball. It spoke volumes to me that they were able to beat UConn on the road with Ben Hansbrough on the bench.

Might Win It:  Syracuse- The Orange have come on strong in the last couple of weeks, and they always play well at the Garden. The potential quarterfinal matchup with St. John's makes me giddy. I like the Orange's chances.

Darkhorse: UConn- Yes they have struggled recently, but when you have a guy like Kemba Walker, never count them out. The road to get there goes through Pittsbrugh, but it wouldn't surprise me if Walker, a New York kid takes over the tournament.

Winner: Syracuse: beat St. Johns, UConn, and Notre Dame

Big 12
Should Win: Kansas- I like the way the Jayhawks have been playing in the last couple of games. I thought they had a very strong performance at Missouri on Saturday and they are playing in Kansas City where there should be a fan advantage for them.

Might Win: Kansas State- All the sudden the Wildcats have figured out how to play basketball again. The last month has made people not look crazy for picking them number three in the nation. The semifinal between Kansas State-Kansas will be the best game.

Darkhorse:  Baylor- I love the Bears' athleticism and it makes them always a threat. I am waiting for them to finally play better as a team instead of a bunch of individuals. I know they just lose to Texas at home, but I wouldn't be surprised if they pulled off the upset in round two.

Winner: Kansas- Beats Nebraska, Kansas State, and Texas.

Big 10
Should Win: Ohio State- The Big 10 Tournament is notably crazy. It always has upsets, and great games. As someone who isn't a Big 10 fan, I enjoy watching their tournament. The Buckeyes should be on lookout, but if they keep shooting threes like yesterday than no one is beating them.

Might Win: Purdue- I know the Boilermakers lost to on the road against Iowa, but until then they were playing very well. I love the combination of JaJuan Johnson and E'twan Moore.

Darkhorse: Michigan State- It's March so we always have to worry about Sparty. I wouldn't be shocked if they end up in the Big 10 final against whoever else. But then again, the Spartans haven't been their usual squad.

Winner: Wisconsin- beats Penn State, Michigan State, and Michigan


Pac-10
Should Win: Arizona- I feel like the Pac-10 gets a bad rap because they play on FSN and honestly, who watches Fox Sports for college basketball? It's not a great conference this year, but I wish we got more Pac-10 hoops on ESPN/CBS

Might Win: Washington- I know they faced a tough Washington State team, but they have some great talent. A lot of talented players, but once again, they do not have togetherness. The Huskies have the talent to win this tournament.

Darkhorse: USC- The Trojans have 4 wins over the top 50 RPI, and they beat the number one seed by seventeen points earlier this season. I wouldn't be shocked if the Trojans play themselves into the Big Dance.

Winner: UCLA- beats Stanford, Washington, USC


SEC
Should Win: Florida- While a second round game against Tennessee is a bit scary, the Gators are the best team in the SEC right now so I have trouble seeing them losing early in the SEC Tourney. Their road win against Vandy spoke volumes to me, and I do think this team could have a nice run come March.

Might Win: Kentucky- Of course, the Wildcats have all the talent in the world, but they are all very young. They have a good guard in Brandon Knight and a near unguardable player in Terrence Jones. I wouldn't be shocked one bit if the Cats are in the final.

Darkhorse: Alabama- You might wonder how does a team with a one seed and a bye is a darkhorse... But they get no respect. 12-4 in a power conference should gain you a berth to the Big Dance. I have a feeling the matchup with Georgia will decide the fates for both of those teams.

Winner: Florida- beats Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Alabama

It starts Tuesday morning, should be fun.

-Charlie.