.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Sunday, March 6, 2011

The Tar Heels Look Like Contenders


I wonder how many Tar Heel fans thought their squad would be ACC regular season champions after Georgia Tech beat them by 20 in the middle of January.  The Tar Heels are the hottest team in college basketball, and I believe this team is poised to have a big run in March.


I know a lot of times I live in the moment, but it's hard to argue the recent success out of Chapel Hill. The Heels are 11-1 in their last twelve games and gave Duke the business last night. The Dukies did not stand a chance yesterday as the Tar Heels played tough defense and looked great on the offensive end. Kendall Marshall and Harrison Barnes have a lot do with the Tar Heels' recent success, and they have become one of the most feared duos in college basketball. 

I have watched three or four Carolina games in the last month and Marshall really impressed me. He makes NBA-like passes and can hit a jumper every once in awhile. When Marshall took over the point guard role from Larry Drew II, it the turning point of the season, and Drew leaving the team became a blessing in disguise.

Even though Carolina holds a soft spot in my college basketball heart, I laughed earlier this season when Harrison Barnes got off to a slow start. It made his preseason All-American spot look insane. Although in the last month, Barnes has become a go-to scorer. I like his smooth jumper, and that he is able to take the ball to the bucket. I also enjoyed the stepback three to beat Florida State on Wednesday, and he had another dagger three in the corner on Saturday. Barnes has the clutch gene, and someone I do not want face in late game situation. 

Obviously, the brackets aren't set yet but I am not afraid to say the Tar Heels would be in my Final Four today. They are playing at such a high level, and have more athleticism then most teams in the field of 68.

-Charlie.