.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Can Wisconsin Sports Fans Like The Chicago Blackhawks?

A lot of people on my Twitter and Facebook feed last night were disappointed that the Blackhawks could not come back from the 3-0 series deficit as they lost  last night in overtime to the Vancouver Canucks.  I am not a huge Blackhawks fan personally, but I also mourn with some friends they couldn't get it done.  Some people had serious problems with me cheering on a Chicago-based team.


I see nothing wrong about it for various reasons... 
1.) Milwaukee doesn't have a professional hockey team. Don't even go there with the Milwaukee Adrimals (still a great franchise much love), but that's not an excuse to hate the Blackhawks. They are the closest NHL team to city of Milwaukee. 

2.) I deal with more Minnesota Wild fans than Blackhawk fans therefore I do not have the same sort of vitriol others who live in Milwaukee. Rumor has it, many people like myself jumped on the bandwagon, but instead of being casual about it, they act like they have been for 20 years.  

3.) I don't consider them a FIB team (in case you are wondering: Cubs/Bears/Bulls in that order) because like the Chicago White Sox, no Milwaukee team plays them on a regular basis.

4.) I love their sweaters (Black/Red) and their theme song.  Both very enjoyable


5.) Finally, can we all agree the Blackhawks are fun to watch?  Patrick Kane, Jonathan Toews, Duncan Keith, Patrick Sharp to name a few. They have a ton of great talent, and as a bandwagon hockey fan, that's all I need really. Take notice, I enjoy watching the Washington Capitals even more than the Blackhawks.

I like the consider myself one of many voices of common sense here in the great state of Wisconsin and I vote it's okay to like the Blackhawks. But since this is a sportsocracy, not a sportstorship, I will put a one-day poll for you to decide plus feel free to discuss on the comments page, or any other social media outlets.

-Charlie.