.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Monday, May 28, 2007

Gus Frerotte Ruined 6th Grade

Shout out to Just Call Me Juice for featuring my submission in his Terrible Jersey Hall of Fame series. If you have the time go check out the other entries in the series, there are some pretty funny and tragic stories there. So in case you are lazy, here is the story of my Gus Frerotte jersey:



Year of Purchase: 1996

Age of Purchase: 11

Jersey Category: Who Owns That Jersey?

Why Is It Terrible?:At first this jersey wasn't too bad. I mean, Frerotte had stepped in and played well to end the previous season, and at the time he seemed like an absolute savior as compared to Heath Shuler. I even had a poster on my wall of Frerotte, Terry Allen, and Michael Westbrook. Then however, two things happened that forever caused me to hate having bought this jersey. First, nobody at my school could pronounce the name correctly, which resulted in a new nickname for me: "Ferret Boy". Then, on top of that indignity, Frerotte went out in the 1997 season and did one of the dumbest things in history: gave himself a concussion by slamming his head into a wall while celebrating a touchdown. I was watching that game, a 7-7 tie against the Giants, while wearing my Frerotte jersey. It was the last time I ever wore it.

And yes, that is the exact poster I had in my room in 6th Grade. Right next to my Stephon Marbury Timberwolves poster. Ahh, those were the days...