.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Monday, July 2, 2007

Your Hot Dog Primer

The Fourth of July means one thing in the sports world. (Besides patriotic baseball swag) It means that it is time once again for the Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest. For the past six years it has also meant certain victory for Takeru Kobayashi, the Tiger Woods of competitive eating. A jaw injury for Kobayashi, as well as increased competition, could bring his streak to an end this year. So who will be challenging Kobayashi this year? Here is a look at the contestants in this year's contest, including world record holder Joey Chesnut: (Info from the International Federation of Competitive Eating)

Takeru Kobayashi
I.F.O.C.E Rank: #1
Age: 27
Weight: 160
Why you should like him: You should root for Kobayashi if you like dynasties. Kobayashi is like the Yankees of competitive eating.


Joey Chestnut
I.F.O.C.E Rank: #2
Age: 23
Weight: 230
Why you should like him: Chestnut is the new world record holder in the hot dog eating contest, after having consumed 59.5 hot dogs and buns last month in a regional qualifier.


Patrick Bertoletti
I.F.O.C.E Rank: #3
Age: 21
Weight: 190
Why you should like him: Bertoletti is first person to complete the Sasquatch Burger Contest at Bigfoot Lodge Cafe In Memphis, which requires eating a 4 lb. burger in one sitting.


Sonya Thomas
I.F.O.C.E Rank: #4
Age: 39
Weight: 105
Why you should like her: She is little, cute, and her nickname is "The Black Widow". How do you not like her?


Bob Shoudt
I.F.O.C.E Rank: #5
Age: 39
Weight: 285
Why you should like him: Shoudt is the highest ranked competitive eater in the world that is also a parent.


Chip(Burger) Simpson
I.F.O.C.E Rank: #6
Age: 24
Weight: 200
Why you should like him: Allegedly he has a hot girlfriend. That is good enough for me.


Tim Janus
I.F.O.C.E Rank: #7
Age: 30
Weight: 165
Why you should like him: Also known as "Eater X" Janus is a bit...strange. Don't believe me? Watch the video.


Richard LeFevre
I.F.O.C.E Rank: #8
Age: 62
Weight: 132
Why you should like him: For goodness sakes, the man is 62 years old. How can you not root for Grandpa?


Artutro Rios Jr.
I.F.O.C.E Rank: #9
Age: 30
Weight: ?
Why you should like him: Rios works as a driver for the New York Daily News.


"Crazy Legs" Conti
I.F.O.C.E Rank: #11
Age: 35
Weight: 215
Why you should like him: Dreadlocks. Dreadlocks are just cool.


Dale Boone
I.F.O.C.E Rank: #12
Age: 38
Weight: 303
Why you should like him: Boone enjoys dressing up like Daniel Boone.



Erik Denmark
I.F.O.C.E Rank: #14
Age: 27
Weight: 208
Why you should like him: Denmark ,in additon to being a competitive eater, also has a blog.



Hall Hunt
I.F.O.C.E Rank: #16
Age: 24
Weight: 185
Why you should like him: Hunt is a member of MENSA.



Patrick Philbin
I.F.O.C.E Rank: #24
Age: 41
Weight: 310
Why you should like him: Calls himself "Pat from Moonachie."



Allen Goldstein
I.F.O.C.E Rank: #25
Age: 40
Weight: 195
Why you should like him: His nickname is "Shredder"



Juliet Lee
I.F.O.C.E Rank: #37
Age: 41
Weight: ?
Why you should like her: Lee grew up in China.


Tim Brown
I.F.O.C.E Rank: #47
Age: 27
Weight: ?
Why you should like him: An interview with Brown.